Sunday, January 9, 2011

Breakheart Brook

Jim Less and I headed to the back-country in Arcadia to fish for some wild brook trout. We headed to Breakheart Pond to fish the inlet and outflow of the pond. There were a few ice fishers on the pond enjoying a wonderful sunny day. Jim and I spent a short amount of time at the head of the pond with not much access to deeper pools, from there we headed back to the parking area and fish the outflow; Breakheart Brook. What a wonderful stretch with steeper than normal grades for a small Rhode Island Stream. We felt as if we were fishing a White Mountain stream in NH. We just spent a couple of hours on the stream however it was a splendid winter day. I did manage to land a gorgeous little brook trout around 8 inches. I am sure there were many more in the deep pools. A Hares Ear Tungsten Bead did the trick. Jim and I did witness many enthusiast out enjoying the management area. Was truly nice to see.
Wild Rhode Island Brook Trout on a Sage 7'10" TXL O wt Fly Rod with size #16 Tungsten Hares Ear


The old Dam at Breakheart Brook. Can't but to wonder what this river and 30+ acre pond would be like if this dam was restored to better manage the flow of water. Something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day. Beautiful fish. Fishing when there is snow on the banks of the river is special to me, some of my all time favorite days fishing were done in the snow. I wish I was able to be there.

    ReplyDelete